Immediately After the Marathon
- Do not sit or lie down. Keep walking!
- Continue to replace your fluids.
- Eat some high carbohydrate food.
- Take a mylar cape. Even if you don’t feel cold right away, you probably will want it sooner or later.
- Change into dry clothes before driving home.
- Consume lots of carbs for dinner with extra protein.
- Drink fresh juices
- A cold bath is probably better for your muscles but a warm bath followed with gentle stretching may feel better.
- Stay focused on the positive. Do not critique yourself too harshly.
- Go to sleep earlier than usual.
- Be prepared to walk funny tomorrow.
The Day After
- Avoid the temptation to run. Take the entire week off from running to avoid injuries and to enhance future perfomances.
- Try to take a slow 15-20 minute walk.
- Schedule a massage for today or sometime in the next couple of days.